Friday, June 29, 2007

The Quiminology Files


THE QUIM

What a word. It rolls around the tongue like soft toffee. It’s a good candidate for some extra thrills during oral sex (ask your partner to breathe it against you while he’s doing…well, whatever he’s doing down there). But what does it actually mean, and where did it come from?

I’ll find out the facts. That’s my job. I follow the evidence. I’m a Quiminologist.

Yes, the word “quim” does mean female genitalia. And it’s primarily British - leave it to us Brits to come up with a word that scores triple in Scrabble and gets dirty looks from Great Aunt Mary at the same time. Consensus is that “quim” is derived from the old word “queme”. Wanna know what that one means? Pleasant or satisfying!!! Yep. It’s earliest appearance may well be in a play from 1613 but it was definitely used in a 1735 ballad titled “The Harlot Unmasked”. No doubt the quim was pleasant and satisfying long before that, but you know these academicians. Gotta have it in writing!!!

So there you go…the history of the word “QUIM” revealed. Another successful case closed. Got any open files you’d like researched? Just ask the Quiminologist. We’re always at your cervix. Er…service.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always liked that word, and I love that its root means pleasant. It brings to mind those delicious naughty Victorian novels hidden under the bed. It's neat and prim but slightly wicked, like some of those Victorian ladies. I can almost imagine one named Miss Quim.
I'd be interested to know if anyone has any pet names or if your lover has any sobriquets for your quim.

aromagik said...

I'm always disappointed when my Palm version of Bookworm doesn't accept "quim" as a valid word. (and yet, for some dumb reason I keep trying -- because it amuses me) :>]

~Lindy

Sahara Kelly said...

You too, Lindy? I've spent more time than I should have on that darn game. There's several words that it just refuses to acknowledge.

I reckon that Bookworm's a virgin! LOL

Sahara

Jaid Black said...

I had no idea QUIM was a real word. Now I can kick some serious booty at Scrabble :-P

DawnsReadingNook said...

Wow, now I can get some major points in naughty scrabble with my honey! :-P Thanks EC and Sahara for this wonderful word. :)
Raine

Jo Carlisle said...

What a strange--yet fun--word! I saw it once in a historical romance and was able to use my context clues to define it. he he

Makes me wonder what its called in other languages!

Brynn Paulin said...

I like quim but I'd feel silly writing it. I have a feeling a lot of readers would stop and go "what?".

Anonymous said...

Here are a few from The Story of V by Catherine Blackledge (I love the last one):

In ancient Greece, a common name for the inner labia was nymphae, meaning “water goddesses.”

A contemporary German name for the labia, shamlippen, is derived from the German word for shame.

Some Chinese terms for the vagina translate to “open peony blossom,” “heavenly gate,” and “lotus of her wisdom.”

Jaid Black said...

Hmmm... I like water goddesses :-)

aromagik said...

OK, I've got another one (though good sense tells me to keep my mouth shut...)

Venus Fly Trap. Not only because they snap shut when stimulated by prey, but because of certain pesky hairs that are *just* a little too close to precious parts to be shaved safely. Got the image yet?

Wikipedia: "The trigger hairs must be touched twice in quick succession (which prevents non-prey stimuli such as raindrops from triggering the trap), whereupon the lobes snap shut"

Let's forget for a moment that they actually EAT their prey, shall we?

~Lindy, smiling innocently

Jaid Black said...

Lindy, that's too funny. I think all of us can relate to the pesky hair thing. Too close to Mama's Jewel *snicker*

Anonymous said...

Venus fly trap! I love it. Very descriptive, but girl, you could scare a man to death with a term like that!

aromagik said...

I'm blessed with a man who loves me, scary, hairy & all! *giggle*

~Lindy