Monday, July 9, 2007

Off Topic: Scientology


A 25-year-old woman in Sydney, Australia appeared in court this morning after she fatally stabbed her father and sister and left her mother severely wounded. The irony? The parents had previously denied their daughter psychiatric care because of their Scientology beliefs.

I try to be open-minded. I try oh so very hard. But to me this tragic story underscores everything wrong with fundamentalist religion, be it Islam, Christianity, or Scientology. (Note the emphasis on the word "fundamentalist".)

In quasi-related news, the UK's Daily Mail reported last week that Germany has banned Tom Cruise from making a movie about the attempted assassination plot of Hitler because the government there feels that Scientology is very akin to Nazi thinking.

What do you think?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

JAID I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW ANY THINKING PERSON CAN BE AGAINST PSYCHIATRY IN EVERY CASE. MY OLDEST BROTHER HAS ISSUES THAT ONLY PSYCH DRUGS CAN HELP, MEDITATING OR WAITING ON ALIENS WOULD NOT HELP A LICK.

Jaid Black said...

Marcia, I don't know much about Scientology other than the usual bits you hear in the news so I don't know why its followers are against psychiatry per se. That said, unless I'm missing a news flash, I don't get why Germany compared them to Nazis either. I'm just sad about the Sydney girl's case. Very sad.

Anonymous said...

I GOOGLED THE STORY AFTER YOU WROTE ABOUT IT AND IT IS VERY UPSETTING. THIS IS A NO WIN SITUATION.

Jaid Black said...

Agreed, Marcia :-(

Bettina said...

Hi... real quick. Germany didn't compare Scientology to the Nazi's, in Germany Scientology is considered a sect and not a church and therefore illegal.

In regards to the filming of the movie, the filming is actually going on, and the only problem about filming was that some of the places they wanted to film at were historically sensitive or were in places with security issues (i.e. close to or in Government Buildings).

Hope that clears some of the controversy up.

In regards to the case of the girl in Sydney, I can only second that it is very sad she had not help.