Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Tender Muffins for Tough Times

How to talk a failed investor off the ledge
By Hot Mama

When the going gets tough, the tough bake muffins. With humble ingredients, they’re inexpensive to make, and baked goods are the ultimate comfort food.

That’s why Hot Mama knew just what to do when the call came in that a certain real estate magnate was perched on a girder of the Skyway Bridge, contemplating an end to it all. Like everything else, the Florida real estate industry is in the toilet, and I knew it was just a matter of time before one of my poker buddies decided life was not worth living if he lost his Lexus.

I’m dreadfully afraid of heights, so there was no way I was going to climb up there to talk to him. And besides, what would I say? “Really, you’ll still be virile and attractive, even if you drive a Hyundai.” Who would believe that?

No, the only thing that might make a man want to live when he’s lost everything is the irresistible smell of something delicious. Fortunately, I just happened to be taking peach jam muffins out of the oven when I got the call. I put them in a basket, packed a thermos of tea, and headed for the bridge. Within minutes of my arrival, Bernie was sitting in my car, literally eating out of my hand. These muffins might not save your life, but they will make your troubles seem smaller if you share them with a friend.

Muffins to Live For
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 egg, beaten
¼ cup walnut oil
1/2 cup peach jam (marmalade works great too, or any flavor of jam)
1 1/2 cups nonfat milk
Combine dry and wet ingredients separately, then mix together just until dry ingredients are moistened. Mixture will be a bit lumpy. Spoon into greased muffin tins or tins with cupcake papers. Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes or until surface springs back under gentle pressure from a finger.

No comments: