Thursday, August 20, 2009

Ms. Nobody


Bust magazine is running a story about a recent study by Indiana University Center for Survey Research that says over 70% of Americans think a woman should take her husband's name when she marries. HALF of the respondents think it should be required! I've never completely understood why women are so eager to change their names, but I don't condemn it. I am stunned and appalled, however, that half the people in this country in the 21st century think women should have to change their names when they marry. Makes me wonder what other things people think women should relinquish to matrimony. It confirms a sneaking suspicion I have about the popularity of Mad Men. Sure, the style looks fabulous, but I have a hunch there's a lot of nostalgia going on for men who long for the days when guys had three-martini lunches while their secretaries in big, pointy bras did the actual work and made maybe one-tenth of the men's salaries.

No comments: